Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Amateur blueberry cheesecake

I’m such a big slacker. This post must have gone out on 26th December, the day I made some of the best dessert ever, but like many others around the world I suffer from “Holiday laziness” and hence the delay.. what i made was nothing less than divine :)) dont believe me? Ask Father U, who I caught shovelling the cheesecake into his mouth with lightning speed,  also Sammy who devoured it in greedy gulps and told me that my cheese cake was the kind which would make one drop their spoon and perform an opera piece. I wouldn’t have called it a masterpiece if not for the boisterous, un-entertained kids of my aunt who said it was delicious except for one lame rascal kid who gobbled up an entire wedge and said that he liked sponge cake better.

In case I haven't already mentioned this, the greatest perk or bane (depending on how we’re looking at it) of my university is the incredible amount of time you get as off. There are so many holidays and long vacations that I can barely manage to keep track of them. As I’m jobless and I don’t have any other obligations what so ever I tag along with Sammyboy. This doesn’t necessarily keep me away from my ever so reliable white oven, although, it did run overtime when I baked carrot cake and some more cookies. Last week, I didn’t realize it was so incredibly simple to make cheesecake. I’m a sucker for all things cheese but this one didn’t really need cream cheese but was still worth the drool. When I decided to feed my friends and family cheese cake, V and I went scavenging one evening, daring a strike and the evening traffic at Paradise Circle, in search of the best quality of soya whipping cream. We returned with sore legs and a pack of what the shopkeeper claimed to be the best in Hyderabad. Now I was all set to make my first cold dessert. I had hung curds which would be used instead of cream cheese, Britannia digestive biscuits was to be used as the base and condensed milk, a little of which I could salvage after father U started using it in his tea for the right color (so he claims). Since Father U happens to be my favourite person, I let him eat my cache of walnuts, cashews and other dried fruits. This is something I’d never let anybody else even eye, let alone allow them to pop it into their mouths casually. And this applies even to my drive-me-nuts, lecturing, super-judgmental, critical, chronically-worrying, smaller-than-a-blade-of-grass, petite, lithe, 60 kg beauty who happens to be my mother and accidentally the other favourite person. I’m too broke to keep refilling them and my brother R loves me a little less these days to send me money to replenish my dwindling stock. With all the things I had gathered I started off to make what my masterpiece thus far


Blueberry Cheese Cake

What you need:
For the crust(A)
• 2 cups biscuit crumbs,coarsely ground
• 1/2 tsp ginger powder
• 1/3 cup melted butter
For the filling
• 350 gm hung curd
• 3/4th cup condensed milk (room temperature)
• 3/4 cup whipped cream (optional)
• 1 tbsp gelatin (only if using whipped cream)
• 1/4th cup water
what you need to do
Prepare the crust by combining the ingredients listed under A
• Rub the butter in to the crumbs using your fingers
• Press the crumb mixture to an inch up to the sides of a 8 inch spring-form tin and chill for half an hour
• Prepare the filling by beating the hung curds first till a uniform texture is achieved
• Add the condensed milk and whip till well combined
• Prepare the gelatin (only if using whipped cream) by double boiling 1 tbsp of gelatin with 1/4th cup of water  till it dissolves completely
• Add the dissolved gelatin to the hung curd and condensed milk mixture and whip on high speed
• Add the whipped cream and beat thoroughly
• Pour the mixture into the crust, smooth it out and chill to set
• After it sets slather blueberry preserve; a number of variations of cheesecake can be made.

4 comments:

  1. Slurp Slurp how is wished i could dig my teeth in to the soft crust of the culinary marvel you have created well for now i shall confine it to the comfort of my eyes it looks tantalizing.
    way to go sis great blog

    PS: One hard whack on the rascal kids bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmmmmm...am going to try...u r my inspiration to start baking...Good Job girl...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photography...xcan i hire who ever that is??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chanced upon your blog through a google search...like the way you write and must say, good photography too...must try one of your concoctions :-) all the best...keep writing

    ReplyDelete